Saturday 17 July 2010

Getting used to being upside down

The 2nd flight wasn't so bad. Managed to sleep a little bit and no horrible people sat by us. When we got to Brisbane airport we were picked up in a minibus with other students, mostly from asia. It was v exciting seeing the city for the first time and was such a nice day with no clouds at all. We were dropped off at the college we were staying in and shown to our rooms. It was just basically halls. Met some nice people while I was there though who I am now living with! Had a wander round the campus on the first day then went to bed at 7 as sooo tired. Next day I went to a meeting about accomodation and a general getting started meeting. Then headed into the centre to get an australian number but we went on a boat! It's called the citycat and is basically a water bus, so much better than a normal bus though. Like, like, like.

The next day I got round to viewing some places and the 1st one i went to made me want to be sick. It was the dirtiest house I had ever been in and all the floor was peeling up and it was absolutely awful! So I left asap. I went to see another one after lunch though, I just happened to be talking to people when Rich got called by a landlady who offered to pick us up and show us her place with 5 free bedrooms. And there were 5 of us and it is so sooooo nice. My bedroom has a dividing wall in it so that I have my own little study, i love it. There's 2 bathrooms, 6 bedrooms, an open plan kitchen/diner/living space. Then downstairs we have our own mini party flat. Its ceilings are supposed to be too low for it to be let or something, don't understand why though as they are much higher than ours at home. But it's got its own bedroom, kitchen, bathroom and living area so were gonna make it our party room. And it's always good to have a spare bathroom and kitchen. We've also got a little garden with a BBQ. The area is a little way from uni, about a 40min walk but I think I'm gonna get a bike.

My flatmates are Rich who is from near Bristol, Guy from Cheltenham who is also doing biology, Louisa from Chicago, Eymeric (not too sure how its spelt, sorry) who is French and an Australian guy called Graham who I havn't met yet.

We moved in last night, but we walked all the way with our stuff. It was AWFUL, i thought my arms might die! And THEN we walked all the way back to a friends for some drinks, but then all the shops were shut! Ended up getting some pizza instead though. The uni culture seems really different here, there's no student union bars or clubs and hardly any in the area either. It seems to be alot more study focused than in the UK.

Today, I'm planning to head to South Bank Parklands where there's an artificial beach so hopefully should be a good day :)

Miss you all lots xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...